- Hydro 2015 International Conference and Exhibition will take place at Bordeaux Convention Centre 26-28 October 2015, (France)
- ICOLD Annual Meeting & Congress, June 2015, (Norway)
- The 7th International Symposium on ROLLER COMPACTED CONCRETE (RCC) Dams, September 24-25, 2015, Chengdu (China)
- Sancold Annual Conference 2015, 1-3 September 2015
- 10th Edition of the Spanish Technical Meetings on Dams, 18-20 February 2015
- 1st International Seminar on Dam Protection against overtopping and Accidental Leakage, 24-26 November 2014, Madrid, (Spain)
- 2014 ANCOLD Conference, 21-22 October 2014, Canberra (Australia)
- HYDRO 2014, International Conference and Exhibition, 13-15 October 2014
- CDA Annual Conference, 4-5 October 2014, Banff (Alberta-Canada)
- 22nd ICID Congress and 65th IEC Meeting, 14-20 September 2014, Gwangju (Korea)
- 82nd Annual Meeting, June 1st-6th 2014, Bali, (Indonesia)
- ICID and ICOLD Presidents write to World Bank President
- Fifth International Conference on Water Resources and Hydropower Development in Asia, 11-13 March 2014, Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- Tehri dam held raging Ganga and saved lives, July 23rd
- R.I.P. Nelson Mandela (07/12/2013)
- Africa 2013 Report, May 21st
- Construction of Belo Monte resumes, 1st Sept 2012
- Infrastructure for green energy, 30 May 2012
- The 6th WWF, 12-17 March 2012, Marseille (France)
- The WCD question ,16 March 2012, Marseille (France)
- ICOLD President met IHA President, May 2011
- China-Africa : successful workshop and tour, November 2010
- SANCOLD Conference, 5-7 November 2013
- Hydropower 2013, CHINCOLD 2013 Annual Meeting and the 3rd International Symposium on Rockfill Dams, 1-3 November 2013
- 20th Anniversary of SLOCOLD, International Symposium, 16th October 2013, Ljubljana (Slovenia)
- Annual CDA Conference & Exhibition, October 5-10, 2013, Montréal (Quebec, Canada)
- 81th ICOLD Annual Meeting, 12-16 August 2013, Seattle (USA)
- International Conference and Exhibition Africa,16-18 April 2013
- 9th ICOLD European Club Symposium, April 10-12 2013, Venice (Italy)
- Africa 2013: Water Storage and Hydropower Development for Africa, April 8
- After the floods, from Red Cross to heads of state, a general call for more dams, November 12th
- 6th International Symposium on Roller Compacted Concrete (RCC) Dams, October 23-25, 2012, Zaragoza (Spain)
- 24th ICOLD Congress, June,6-8th 2012, Kyoto (Japan)
- Invitation to the First International Conference on Dams and Hydropower in Iran
- 2nd International Symposium on Rockfill Dams, October 25-28 2011, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Practical Solutions for a Sustainable Future, October 17-19, 2011, Prague (Czech Republic)
- International Symposium on "Modern Technologies and Long-term Behavior of Dams", September 27-29 2011, Zhengzhou (China)
- Hydrovision Brazil, September 20-22, 2011, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- 79th Annual Meeting, 29 May-3 June 2011, Lucerne (Switzerland)
- Hydrovision International, July 19-22, 2011, Sacramento (USA)
- ICOLD's new homepage
- 25th ICID European Regional Conference, 16-20 May, 2011, Groningen (Netherlands)
World Register of Dams / Registre Mondial des Barrages
Buy an access to the online World Register of Dams for 3years.
The WRD is the best available data basis on dams in the world and we are constantly striving to better it.
Bulletin 151Tropical residual soils as dam foundation and fill material
Bulletin 154Dam safety management: Operational phase of the dam life cycle
Bulletin 164Internal Erosion of Existing Dams, Levees and Dikes, and their Foundations
Package Bulletins 2016
Bulletins' Package: 2016
- Bulletin 146
- Bulletin 148
- Bulletin 157
- Bulletin 166
Bulletin 168Recommendations for Operation, Maintenance and Rehabilitation
14th International Benchmark Workshop on Numerical Analysis of Dams
6 - 8 September 2017
LTBD 2017 in Tehran
"Long-Term Behavior and Environmentally Friendly Rehabilitation Technologies of Dams (LTBD 2017)"
17 – 19 October 2017
26th Congress & 86th ICOLD Annual Meeting
1 - 7 July 2018
Tailings Dam Breach – Beyond the State of the Practice Workshop
Saturday, October 4, 2014, 9 am to 5 pm and Sunday, October 5, 2014, 9 am
Dam breach analysis is an important aspect in the design and evaluation of dams as it allows the consequences of dam failure to be incorporated into risk assessment, the selection of recurrence intervals for extreme design events and emergency preparedness planning. While such analysis is routinely conducted for water retaining dams, its application to dams that contain viscous solids, such as tailings, with or without a pond, has been limited because of uncertainties regarding interactions between the tailings (non-Newtonian flow), any free water that may be present (multiphase flow), and the flow path (effects of momentum and topography). Tools developed for water retention dams are often used to approximate the flow from tailings dam breaches. However, there is considerable divergence in the approaches used and no general consensus as to how these flows should be modeled.
This workshop will be jointly held with the International Congress on Large Dams (ICOLD) and will be the first of a series of workshops devoted to this topic.
The proposed tailings dam breach workshop is intended to provide a forum for practitioners to discuss their experiences with tailings dam breach analysis with the following objectives:
- Understanding tailings dam failure modes and the potential impacts.
- Present case studies of actual tailings dam breach flows.
- Review key literature and our current understanding of tailings dam breach flows.
- Recognize limitations of existing water-flow based analytical tools.
- Key characteristics of the tailings that contribute to liquefaction and flow.
- Evaluation of the effects consolidation and ageing may have on limiting tailings flow.
- Review of the fundamental mechanisms of tailings flow as opposed to water flow.
- ” failure modes that should be considered in the dam breach analysis.
- Share experience on tailings dam breach analysis through case studies.
- Appraise currently available tailings/debris flow models and critical parameters for their adaptation to tailings dam failure.
- Understand the pros and cons of various methods.
The workshop will be led by several experts in the field. However, all participants will be encouraged to share their experience on the topic.
As noted above, this workshop will be the first of a series and a key objective of this workshop will be to identify the issues that need to be addressed in the subsequent workshops.
Tags : Events